MALVERN, Pa. (April 19, 2023) – Cassatt Insured Group, a captive insurance group for hospitals, physicians and other healthcare organizations, hosted its 24th Annual Risk Management and Patient Safety Symposium on April 19th for member hospitals.
This year’s Symposium, Humanity in Healthcare, is Cassatt’s 24th Annual Symposium. This theme was determined based on feedback from previous Cassatt symposiums and other educational programs, as well as the experience and knowledge of current topics from Cassatt’s Risk Management Advisory Group education committee and staff.
During this year’s Symposium, we heard from a group of experienced speakers from the healthcare environment. The keynote session connected themes from shared experiences over the last three years in pandemic leadership to moving forward in our work and lives with mindfulness, compassion and humanity. Other sessions included topics such as the function and engagement of point of view in healthcare, human inherent bias in communication, Hospital at Home, why patients lie and the criminalization of medicine.
The target audience included: Cassatt member hospitals’ physicians, nurses, clinical and administrative leadership and staff, hospital attorneys, patient safety officers, quality and risk managers, educators, human resource professionals, and other healthcare professionals interested in risk management and safety.
The lectures for the symposium were:
- Better Tomorrow– Chris DeRienzo, MD, MPP
- Hospital Sweet Home: Delivering Acute Care in the Home– Sarah Schenck, MD, FACP
- Meeting Malingerers Where They Are– William Skelton, PsyD
- Difficult Patient Communications: The Intersection of Compassion, Caring, Fear and Confusion – Geri Amori, PhD, ARM, DFASHRM, CPHRM
- Changes in the Medical Legal Landscape: New Challenges for Providers – Matthew Keris, Esquire; Amalia Romanowicz, Esquire; Paul Troy, Esquire; Rebecca Waddell, Esquire
The symposium was presented in joint sponsorship with Jefferson Abington Hospital.